[cvsnt] Re: CVS not keeping file "modified" time stamp

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Oct 25 13:09:17 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> Does anyone know of a way where we can have CVSNT preserve the
>> timestamps on a file rather than reset them to the commit time?
>>
> If your requirements are for storing that kind of information accurately
> then CVS is probably not what you should be using - timestamps are used
> by CVS itself as metadata, and it doesn't do anything special to
> preserve them.

Not sure this helps, but you could use a shell script for
checkout/update/commit and a metadata file with the timestamps (that is
also stored in the repository).

The shell script for commit reads the timestamps, writes them to the
metadata file, then commits the client files plus the metadata file. The
script for checkout/update updates first all the files, then reads the
timestamps from the metadata file and applies them.

Quite a kludge, though, and you can't use some of the normal cvs mechanisms
on this module, due to the changed timestamps. (You may not have to.)

Gerhard