[cvsnt] Re: Newbie Problem - connecting via SSPI from TortoiseCVS

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Sep 4 19:17:14 BST 2005

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 13:24:58 -0400, "Worth Robbins"
<wrobbins at macoun.com> wrote:

>I am probably missing something basic.
>
>I have installed cvsnt 2.5.02.2064 on a virgin WindowsXP/sp2  box, with

Which kind of XP? CVSNT will only work as a server on XP-Pro, XP-Home
is not usable due to Microsoft limitations in the networking part.

>static ip 192.168.0.5. I have also installed TortoiseCVS-1.8.18 on the same
>box. I have the service running, and I have successfully connected with
>Tortoise and been able to create and populate a new module. The connection
>string locally is:
>
>:sspi:localhost:2401:\cvsrepo, and the module is cvstest.

This is a bad choice of repository name! You should *never* use
backslashes! Should be :sspi:localhost:2401:/cvsrepo instead!

>I have also installed same version of Tortoise on another XP box on the same
>network, also static, 192.168.0.4. Both boxes are members of the same
>domain. When I try to connect from the other box, logged in as a domain user
>with domain admin privilege, with a connection string of:
>
>:sspi:192.168.0.5:2401:\cvsrepo

You don't need to specify port 2401 like this, it is the default and
it only clutters up the connection string if you do. But you need a
forward slash...

 :sspi:192.168.0.5:/cvsrepo

>after 10-20 seconds, I get an error messaage "connect to 192.168.0.5:2401
>failed: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not
>properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed
>because connected host has failed to respond".

1) You are using XP-Home. This will fail!
or
2) You have enabled Windows Firewall on the server PC.
In this case you must open the TCP port 2401 for incoming connections

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)