[cvsnt] Binary files and -kb switch

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Sep 9 06:40:47 BST 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 12:00:52 +0800, "Topway-Jean-Luc Aufranc"
<jaufranc at topway.com> wrote:

>I use CVSNT under Linux Redhat 9.0 and I import the binary from the client
>on the same host with the -kb switch.
>I also tried the -ko switch, but I didn't get any more success.
>
>CVSNT Version:
>Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.02 (Servalan) Build 2064
>(client/server)
>
>After checking with a binary tools. 0x0D (CR - Carriage Return)  is
>converted into 0X0A.( LF - Line Feed Return)

On Linux a text file should never ever have a <CR> as a line ending
character. It seems like you are importing files that have been
created in Windows (with <CR><LF> line endings by using a Linux cvs
client. That is simply not the thing to do. Try importing from Windows
(to the linux server) using a Windows cvs client.
Or use a Dos-2-UNIX conversion tool on the files before they are
imported in linux.

Of course if the files are binary then cvsnt has no reason to do any
conversion at all, in that case it might be caused by:
1) A .cvsrc setting in the server forcing the files to text (or was it
cvswrappers? I don't remember exactly since I don't use these myself)

2) A bug in cvsnt
I seem to remember that a few months ago while checking a cvsnt build
during the development cycle I came across this very behaviour, but it
was soon fixed. Was it again re-introduced?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)