[cvsnt] Re: Help setting up anonymous access within a domain

Matthew Beermann mbeerman at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 28 19:30:29 BST 2005

We are using pserver, and the server is on a Windows 2000 machine. Here's what's happening...

passwd = "anonymous::mymachine\anonymous"
readers = "anonymous"

(from a remote location)
cvs -d :pserver:anonymous at mymachine:/projects login

Logging in to :pserver:anonymous at mymachine:2401:/projects
CVS Password:
Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [login aborted]: prdwebdev17\anonymous: no such user

...which makes it sound as if it's not finding the local account; but that account exists, and cvs passwd allowed me to create the alias.

Matthew Beermann wrote:
> I'm about at my wits' end for setting up anonymous access, even after reading all the FAQs and such. Here's the situation:

Anonymous access is normally done using pserver.

> My server is running on a machine that is part of a domain, and is authenticating usernames against that domain. Which works fine. I'd like to add anonymous access. The trick is, I can create local accounts, but not without passwords - the domain forbids it. I've tried various combinations of (in CVSROOT):

Domain settings shouldn't matter, since it'll use the old setuid trick
(that old server didn't have the LSA helper, which means it won't work
on Win2003 or XP SP2, but should on other systems).

> file passwd:
> anonymous::
> anonymous::localuser
> anonymous::machinename\localuser

Looks fine, just alias the anonymous user to a local user.