[cvsnt] Re: storing lock files on cvs

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Fri Apr 14 04:52:17 BST 2006

glenn opdycke-hansen wrote:
> The application/system deploys code to one or more remote hosts.
> The code for the application is stored in cvsnt.  I do not have access
> to a database.  Since multiple people can be deploying from different
> PCs at the same time, there was a chance that the same application
> could be deployed to the same host.
> The goals were to be able to see what deploys were active and to
> provide a mechanism that would prevent multiple concurrent deploys.
>
> I think that storing the lock files in cvsnt could work.  I am looking
> for some feedback.
> The bulk of the system is written in Ant.  Reading a db from Ant is
> possible, just not something that I have experience with.

That certainly give some more information on the proposed application.
It sounds reasonable to me.  You'll probably want to make sure Ant is
being triggered on the back end by server activity (instead of a
timeout).  CVSNT server has the triggers and postcommit scripts, for
example, that can be used to fire off deployment scripts.  Using time
based approaches can lead to the system becoming unresponsive if you set
the time too close together.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett