[cvsnt] Re: chacl lock branch command

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Apr 26 18:29:58 BST 2006

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 21:22:48 +0530, "Soneji, Ketan"
<ksoneji at inteqnet.com> wrote:

>I am using cvsnt version 2.5.03 build-2260 on linux platform. I am
>trying to understand the access settings using chacl command. My motive
>is to lock specific branches which may also include the root(HEAD
>branch). I want to lock the branch for everyone and only give read
>access to everyone. I may also want to unlock the branch.
>
>I am executing the following command in the repository root directory on
>the server inorder to lock a specific branch:
>
>cvs chacl -R -r Maint_Branch_0_2 -m "0.2 has been locked" -a
>read,nowrite,notag,nocontrol,nocreate tracker/
>
>where "Maint_Branch_0_2" is the branch name and "tracker" is the module
>name
>
>But I am still able to checkin files in the above branch.
>
>my CVSROOT/config file has the entry:
>AclMode=compat
>
>Apart from the above CVSROOT/config setting is there any other
>configuration parameter required to enable ACL?
>
>I would be grateful if anyone can guide me in how and from where to
>execute the branch lock command. Will there also be a way to unlock the
>branch again?

I have understood it like this: the way chacl works is to by default
give full access. Then each additional acl you set will be added on
top of that.
So if you want to finetune the access then the first thing you need to
do is deny access to all and then gradually build up from that.
Has been discussed a number of times the last few months so you should
be able to search the archives...

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)