[cvsnt] cvs ignoring .dll files

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Thu Aug 3 22:52:32 BST 2006

Chuck Kirschman wrote:

> David is again correct; we just switched to cvsNT last year, and it took
> me 6 months or so to realize this wasn't working, and another 6 months
> to finally ask about it.

Don't be afraid to ask: its fairly friendly around here :-)

BTW, do "cvs info cvsignore" and "cvs info cvswrappers". You'll then get an
idea of what's being ignored and what's being wrapped respectively. (For
wrapper issues you can also use my checkcvswrappers
(http://www.omz13.com/prj/checkcvswrappers) to help avoid blunders like
committing a binary as text.

> I need to find DLL's, PDB's, etc that get
> written to the source tree and fix them, and CVS is one of the best
> tools for handling this because I'm using it anyway to see which files I
> have modified.  The .cvsrc solution works great.
>
> I see why Tony did it, though I have a very low opinion of Microsoft's
> policy of putting output in the source tree.  That is just one of those
> disasters waiting to occur.  It's fine for small projects, but once you
> cross a line it becomes an intractable mess.  But it's all rolled into
> the greater stupidity of Microsoft "solutions" and "projects."

Yes, building into your source tree isn't a good idea. You can kinda/sorta
alleviate the problem changing the project settings to move all temporary
and generated files into a different dir hierarchy which you then ignore.
IIRC, (caveat: my caffeine level is low so my memory may be off) I had one
directory which held the dsp/dsw/sln and all work/tmp/generated stuff, and
a parallel directory which had the source... it was a brutal attempt to
keep source and build compartmentalized and worked for me.

> The good
> news is that the msbuild stuff looks like it fixes a lot of the issues,
> though in VC8 that's only for VB and C# so far.

You might also want to look at using CMake which holds build metadata and
generates various flavours of build/project files for you; a nice
separation between build and source. It may help. YMMV.

Greetings from (cold and rainy) Luxembourg.

David Somers MISTD MBCS = typographer/programmer/whatever