[cvsnt] cvs ignoring .dll files

David Somers dsomers at omz13.com
Fri Aug 4 09:40:41 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> David Somers wrote:
>>
>> Hmmm... Tony, shouldn't a.out and *.tmp/*.TMP be in there too?
>>
> I guess so, although a.out isn't common in projects..

It is if you're a lazy git and do a quick-and-dity gcc fred.c to compile a
file and can't be bothered with the -a option and forget to delete a.out
afterwards. (For the record, I am a lazy git who does such terrible
quick-and-dirty things with gcc to poor and unsuspecting c files.)

> all the temporary
> stuff is still very unixy, as is the binary stuff..

It does have that unix smell about it, doesn't it? Still, I work
cross-platform so I'm not complaining :-)

One possible enhancement would be for the cvsignore/cvswrappers to be
platform specific (so the server uses different ones depending upon the
client's platform.) Probably not so important these days as files are
getting less platform specific (apart from the conventions for temp files,
etc.)

> I've just added a few
> windows specific ones.
>
> btw. it wasn't me that added .exe either... the original list is
> http://docs.freebsd.org/info/cvs/cvs.info.cvsignore.html

For those who love trivia, exe was put into [vanilla] cvs waaaaaaaay back
in '96:

Thu Feb 29 02:38:48 1996 UTC (10 years, 5 months ago) by benjamin
Branch: MAIN
Changes since 1.14: +3 -1 lines
Diff to previous 1.14
* ignore.c: Added the patterns *.olb *.exe _$* *$ to default ignore list for
VMS

Seeing that reference to VMS brings a tear to my eye.

David Somers MISTD MBCS = typographer/programmer/whatever