[cvsnt] MSI installer error for custom install

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Aug 15 21:32:22 BST 2006

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:05:29 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Thanks,
>> I removed the oracle db from the solution and now it built right down
>> to the last line:
>> cvsnt error result returned from
>> 'f:\engineering\projects\cvsnt\winrel\tmp\bat000144.bat'.
>
>> What in the world is this bat file there for?
>
>No idea.. looks like a temp file.
>
>cvsnt runs a batch file to do the final deployment into the cvsbin
>directory but it's not called anything like that.

Is there any chance I could get a copy of the batch file so I could
build the MSI myself (provided the MSI "maker" is available on the
net)??
I can't find the batch file in CVS, at least not in the installer dir.

Btw, I know you have told me before in some thread what application is
actually used to build the MSI installer. But I can't find that
message, could you please direct me to the proper place again?

>> How to install the new build?
>> ------------------------------
>> Now that I got the new binaries and I have used the MSI installer to
>> get 2403 on, how do I proceed to switch to the newly built binaries?
>> Can I just copy the files on top of the existing ones (after stopping
>> the services) or is there some other way (like registering some
>> files)?
>
>If you've installed 2403 then you could just copy but you might need to
>play around with the paths since you haven't bound the libraries to the
>smart loader (so it won't be able to find anything in common files for
>example).  That's one of the things that the deployment script does..
>but that needs all the directories to be in the right places to work
>reliably.

I tried copying the files from the winrel dir to the install dir where
the installer put them. Of course I shut down the services first.
But the copy failed on cvsapi.dll and when I excluded that from the
copy it stopped on cvstools.dll, in both cases the message claimed
that these files were in use, but I could not find anything that was
running that used them (services switched off etc).
So the bottom line is that I could not actually copy the files over.
How does the installer do this (making sure the dll:s are not in use)?

Concerning the "right places":
I installed using the *MSI* (I am trying to go from the Inno installer
since I can no longer keep pace with what you are doing...) and I have
the cvs.exe in C:\Programs\CVSNT with some support files in subdirs
below that just like it used to be.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)