[cvsnt] MSI installer error for custom install

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Aug 16 22:04:11 BST 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:40:56 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> smartloader at d:\smartloader (compiled for both release and debug)
>>
>> Unknown utility for me.
>
>Just check out the smartloader module.

I just did, now what to do about it? Is it part of the CVSNT
installation or is it a helper for building the setup?
Do I open the Smartloader.sln file in VS2003 and build debug and
release? Is that all I need to do?

>>> cygwin at c:\cygwin.

On the cygwin webpages they say that installing complete means
downloading hundreds of megabytes so one should select the tools one
need only.
Which tools do I need from cygwin to work with the WIX stuff?

>All my scripts use cygwin for building because cmd.exe is pretty
>hopeless for any kind of scripting work.
>
>> Can't use D:. That's a DVD drive.
>> I use F:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\cvsbin instead.
>
>You'll have to make your own makefile for building the msi also should
>you wish to do that as that has all the paths to the source binaries.
>Shouldn't be too hard to use the existing one as a template.

installer/makefile? Is this the one to use? I can copy it and edit it
to suit my paths as long as I can find where all the paths are
located.
Are the paths *only* found in the makefile or do they also go into the
WXS files?

Finally, after editing the paths to suit, how do I *use* the makefile?
Am I supposed to do something from cygwin here?

Sorry to be a pest, but I really would like to be able to build the
stuff properly....
(And I am a longtime Borland user where everything is so quick and
simple).

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)