[cvsnt] MSI installer error for custom install

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Aug 16 22:55:29 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

> I just did, now what to do about it? Is it part of the CVSNT
> installation or is it a helper for building the setup?
> Do I open the Smartloader.sln file in VS2003 and build debug and
> release? Is that all I need to do?

It modifies the application loader so it behaves more usefully.. it's
not something I've really got around to documenting yet as it's only
used by the cvsnt install - it's pretty simple in operation though.  The
standard deployment scripts run it across the binaries before they're
put in their standard place.

If you're creating an MSI it's a good idea to start with files that have
already been run through it but it's not essential for testing.

> On the cygwin webpages they say that installing complete means
> downloading hundreds of megabytes so one should select the tools one
> need only.
> Which tools do I need from cygwin to work with the WIX stuff?

Mines 60mb and that's with loads of extra stuff I don't need.

Just do a standard install.  If you want to do a full release you might
want to add the libxml stuff but that's not essential (it's used for
making the .chm file during release).

> installer/makefile? Is this the one to use? I can copy it and edit it
> to suit my paths as long as I can find where all the paths are
> located.
> Are the paths *only* found in the makefile or do they also go into the
> WXS files?

The paths are all in the makefile (I think).

> Finally, after editing the paths to suit, how do I *use* the makefile?
> Am I supposed to do something from cygwin here?

No, that's just standard visual studio nmake.

The bash step is because cmd.exe can't take the output from one command
and use it in another (in this case the version -q command) - you could
take it out and hardcode the version number but you'd have to remember
to update it manually.