[cvsnt] CVSNT seems to rely on deprected "case" requests

Sebastian Schuberth sschuberthNOSP at Mgmail.com
Thu Aug 17 21:35:28 BST 2006

Hi,

strangely, I did not find anyone else addressing this issue in CVSNT yet
(Is there a way to search the mailing list archives?). When performing
an update on nested checkouts (that is, I checkout a module into the
working copy of another module) I get the following error message:

---8<--(BEGIN)---
unrecognized request `Case'

Error, CVS operation failed
--->8---(END)----

This is from TortoiseCVS 1.8.27 RC5, which uses CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio)
Build 2260 as a back-end. The server we're using is GNU / Savannah CVS
1.12.11. After some research I found out support for the "Case" request
was removed from the GNU server in version 1.11.12:

---8<--(BEGIN)---
2004-02-02  Derek Price  <derek at ximbiot.com>

	Continue removal from server of handling of case
insensitive clients.

	* cvs.h: Remove extern declaration of ign_case.
	* ignore.c (ign_case): Remove declaration.
	(ign_name): Remove support for ign_case.
	* server.c (serve_case): Ditto.
	(requests): No longer support the "Case" request.
	* rcs.c (locate_rcs): Remove reference to GLOBAL in
function header
	comment.
--->8---(END)----

Quoted from
http://cvs.savannah.nongnu.org/viewcvs/ccvs/src/ChangeLog?rev=HEAD&root=cvs&view=auto

And:

---8<--(BEGIN)---
|* Server support for case insensitive clients has been
removed in favor of the
|  server relying on the client to preserve the case of
checked out files, as
|  per the CVS client/server protocol spec.  This is
not as drastic as it may
|  sound, as all of the current tests still pass
without modification when run
|  from a case insensitive client to a case sensitive
server.  This change
|  disables little previous functionality, enables
access to more of the
|  possible namespace to users on systems with case
insensitive file systems,
|  fixes a few bugs, and in the end this should provide
a major stability
|  improvement.

Quoted from
http://www.mail-archive.com/info-cvs@gnu.org/msg32899.html

So I think CVSNT should not rely on this request type. Is there a way to
force CVSNT not to use this type of request?

Thanks.

--
Sebastian Schuberth
(Remove "NOSP" and "M" from my e-mail address)