[cvsnt] -kB option problematic?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Aug 18 23:34:26 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> Is it safe to wildly switch between -kb and -kB between revisions? If so, I
>> just switch the file back on -kB now that I committed it with -kb and see
>> what happens next time.

FWIW, it seems to be possible to destroy earlier revisions by deleting
later revisions. Not sure how that happens, but something like this should
"work":

1- add a binary file with the -kB option
2- commit 4 revisions (gets to 1.4) -- probably not all 4 necessary
3- change the option to -kb (update, commit -f)
4- commit one more revision (now at 1.6)
5- remove the revisions 1.5 and 1.6 (in that sequence -- not sure this is
relevant, but probably it is)
6- 1.4 and earlier are now different from what they were in step 2. Other
than a backup, there seems to be no way to get them back in their original
form.

Is surprising. I didn't expect a removal of a later revision to have an
effect on earlier revisions.

Gerhard