[cvsnt] -kB option problematic?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Sat Aug 19 00:02:19 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
>>> Is it safe to wildly switch between -kb and -kB between revisions? If so, I
>>> just switch the file back on -kB now that I committed it with -kb and see
>>> what happens next time.
>
> FWIW, it seems to be possible to destroy earlier revisions by deleting
> later revisions. Not sure how that happens, but something like this should
> "work":

It's not really surprising - you've crossed a boundary between different
storage types.  It's not really recommended to switch between -kb and
-kB that much anyway (it works for when it's needed, but I wouldn't make
a habit of it as the boundary condition is very slow to process).
Deleting revisions in the middle of the history (again something that is
rarely done) is just adding to complexity - there's no easy way of
handling that, short of reconstructing the entire file from scratch.

Add -kBz into the mix and it gets even more complex...