[cvsnt] repository administrators?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Aug 19 08:03:10 BST 2006

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:36:23 +0800, "Yongwei Wu" <wuyongwei at gmail.com>
wrote:

>I am running CVSNT on a Windows XP Professional machine, and use
>pserver to authenticate myself. My local account belong to the
>Administrators group, and my CVS account maps to my local account in
>CVSROOT/password.
There is no such file, so it won't affect CVS.
CVS manages pserver and sserver users in the file CVSROOT/passwd, but
this file is itself maintained via the CVS command cvs passwd (look it
up in the help).

>The problem is when I use `cvs admin -m' to modify a
>log message, I got the error message:
>
>cvs [server aborted]: usage is restricted to repository administrators
>
>Have I done anything wrong,
Yes, you have used pserver instead of SSPI on a local WinXP machine.
SSPI is much simpler to use than pserver...

>or is it a bug?
No, it's your usage.

To make a user an admin of CVS you have to add him to the
CVSROOT/admin file (just list his login username on a line in this
file).
The file does not exist by default so you have to create it. And it
should NOT be added to the CVSROOT/checkoutlist file either!

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)