[cvsnt] repository administrators?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 09:45:48 BST 2006

On 8/19/06, Bo Berglund <bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:36:23 +0800, "Yongwei Wu" <wuyongwei at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am running CVSNT on a Windows XP Professional machine, and use
> >pserver to authenticate myself. My local account belong to the
> >Administrators group, and my CVS account maps to my local account in
> >CVSROOT/password.
> There is no such file, so it won't affect CVS.
> CVS manages pserver and sserver users in the file CVSROOT/passwd, but
> this file is itself maintained via the CVS command cvs passwd (look it
> up in the help).

This is a typo.

> >The problem is when I use `cvs admin -m' to modify a
> >log message, I got the error message:
> >
> >cvs [server aborted]: usage is restricted to repository administrators
> >
> >Have I done anything wrong,
> Yes, you have used pserver instead of SSPI on a local WinXP machine.
> SSPI is much simpler to use than pserver...

I believe you must be right. However, everyone knows pserver, while
sspi is something new in CVSNT, and *NOT* well documented. Even with
your hint, I can only *kind of* make it work. And I still know little
about it, even what the name stands for.

> >or is it a bug?
> No, it's your usage.
>
> To make a user an admin of CVS you have to add him to the
> CVSROOT/admin file (just list his login username on a line in this
> file).
> The file does not exist by default so you have to create it. And it
> should NOT be added to the CVSROOT/checkoutlist file either!

I appreciate your help very much. However, it is a bug, either in
documentation or in the software. In the CVSNT Manual accompanied with
my CVSNT installation 2.5.03.2382, admin is not listed as an
administrative file, and it is written:

`On unix, if there is a group named cvsadmin, only members of that
group can run cvs admin. This group should exist on the server, or any
system running the non-client/server cvsnt. To disallow cvs admin for
all users, create a group with no users in it. On NT, server
administrators are able to use the admin command.'

Best regards,

Yongwei
--
Wu Yongwei