[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 04:53:17 BST 2006

On 8/20/06, Yongwei Wu <wuyongwei at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/20/06, David Somers <dsomers at omz13.com> wrote:
> > Yongwei Wu wrote:
> >
> > > After updating cvsnt, I got this error message:
> > >
> > > cvs: Obsolete --lf option used.  Please update your client.
> > >
> > > May I ask why?
> >
> > (IIRC there was an edge case where you could somehow corrupt your
> > sandbox/repository if you used --lf -- it bypassed some linefeed
> > proccessing)
> >
> > The preferred (cvsnt) method is to use the -k+L option instead.
>
> Thanks! It is very useful info. However, what if the server is CVS
> instead of CVSNT? Am I forced to use the vanilla CVS client instead?
>
> Really --lf still works at the present moment. But the message is
> really annoying since I am using CVS inside other applications. Even
> -Q cannot kill it.

Is it possible to revert the --lf option to the old behaviour? It is
still useful when working with CVS servers.

CVS servers are still much more common for Open Source projects, like
those on SourceForge, than CVSNT servers (really I know none). I am
quite reluctant to use Cygwin CVS, or old versions of CVS(NT), on my
Windows machine when I want UNIX-style files. It is also confusing to
have two cvs.exe on one PC.

Best regards,

Yongwei
--