[cvsnt] --lf obsolete?

Yongwei Wu wuyongwei at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 17:46:28 BST 2006

On 8/31/06, Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:
> Yongwei Wu wrote:
> > I tested `k+L' and confirmed it did *not* do what I want. I want
> > something like `--lf': the checked-out files are like in a UNIX
> > sandbox, both on check-out and on check-in (when there is keyword
> > expansion). I want the files to remain in UNIX line endings.
> > Unfortunately this is not what `k+L' does.
>
> That is exactly what -kL does.  It creates files with unix line endings
> on all platforms (and -kD for DOS, -kM for Mac).
>
> --lf was never documented, was never intended to be used and could
> easily corrupt repositories.  The only reason it's still there is WinCVS
> still likes to have it around.  Once that dependency is gone the option
> will disappear completely.

-kL has two problems. 1) It does not persist: after the keyword
expansion of a commit, the file returns to DOS line ending. 2) It does
not work with a vanilla CVS server.

That's why I want --lf better. And I really do not see how --lf can
`corrupt' a repository (please have a look at my last message). I
agree that --lf is a feature that could be misused. But no one should
blame you for one's own fault. And it still has valid uses.

Best regards,

Yongwei
--
Wu Yongwei