[cvsnt] CVS reported error: cannot rename file (Not AV problem)

Harrison, Andy andy.harrison at anite.com
Mon Dec 4 16:05:50 GMT 2006

Hi Michael, Glen,

Thanks for your advice. I've tried it, but to no avail.

I have now convinced myself that it is not ACL related. Following your
suggestions I selected the top-level folder for the cvs repository and
set the security settings to full access for everybody, and we still get
the problem. Also, once thing I didn't mentioned previously is that this
problem is not exhibited on any particular file or directory. It just
pops up at random. The next time you try the operation it will normally
work on that file, but may well fail on a later file.

Is there anything else that it could be other than ACL or AV? Is there
any CVS or OS settings I should check?

It does seem to be load related - the more people trying to access the
server, the more likely it is to happen. However, the CPU load doesn't
seem to be very much, it's just the disk that's hard at work. Last time
I checked, there were 10 active cvs.exe processes, but only 2% CPU load.
BTW, is there anyway to tell which user each process is? In the task
manager it just lists them as the system user.

Rgds,
Andy

--
Andy Harrison - Platform Software Engineer
Anite Telecoms Ltd. Ancells Business Park, Fleet, Hampshire, GU51 2UZ,