[cvsnt] Setting ACL: users aren't inheriting groups permissions

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Wed Dec 6 05:39:27 GMT 2006

Cryer, Phil C. (STL) - cont wrote:
>  Now that I have the ability and configuration to setup permissions
> based on groups, I've added users to the group file, and to the passwd
> file, but they don't seem to inherit the permissions the group should be
> giving them.  Here's my setup, and checkout, checkin:

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure if you've done this yet or not, but you probably want to
set the config file in your CVSROOT directory's ACLMODE to "Normal".
This will default deny all users.  The default "Compatible" mode is
default allow everything.

You can also turn on server trace and use -ttt from the client to see
some of the ACL logic as it loads up the groups and compares to the
directories.

>> 5- Add the group file to the file CVSROOT/checkoutlist (see examples
> in there).
>
> But there were no examples, Google revealed file names on newlines,
> that's why I formated checkoutlist as I did.

Yes, that's correct.  You'll see a checked out copy of it in your
CVSROOT directory within your repository if it is working properly
("group" as well as "group,v").

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett