[cvsnt] CVS for non-technie users

James Geldart james at nuvola.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 13:49:19 GMT 2006

Hi

A customer I'm working with has a requirement to roll out a file-sharing system to users in various locations - for various reasons they don't want to use SharePoint, and we're looking at alternatives. The key requirements are to be able to store files on a central server, and for ordinary, non-technical users to be able to set up clients with a minimum of technical support (ideally none at all). Version control is less important, although it's a nice-to-have.

I'm completely new to CVS/CVSNT, but it seems that the server functionality is pretty much what we're looking for. But, I'm not too convinced that the client software that's around is able to be set up by someone without a bit of understanding of the protocols involved, or that it's really able to provide a seemless interface for users used to a normal Windows Explorer type of environment.

So my question is, does anyone out there have any experience of using CVS(NT) for this kind of project, and if so can you give me any useful pointers as to the possible way forward? Alternatively, if anyone has a strong opinion that CVS isn't suitable for this, that would also be useful information.

Thanks in advance for your help
James

James Geldart
DIRECTOR

nuvola
better business through technology

Broadway Studios, 28 Tooting High Street, London SW17 0RG

Tel 0845 838 0688
Fax 0870 285 1675
Mobile 07968 210 725
www.nuvola.co.uk