[cvsnt] unable to connect to new cvs server

Kevin Tapperson kevin at tapperson.net
Wed Dec 13 01:55:21 GMT 2006

I am unable to connect to a new cvs server that I have installed.  I have
seen similar posts on this mailing list regarding this problem, but none of
the suggestions given have resolved the issue for me.  I have tried
installing both cvsnt 2.5.03.2260 and 2.5.03.2382.

I receive the following error when attempting to login to cvs:
C:\>cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:cvsuser at localhost:2401:/cvs
CVS Password:
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: -1: Unknown error

After it gives me the -1 error, any subsequent attempt to login returns the
following error:
cvs [login aborted]: Error reading from server localhost: 0: No such file or
directory
I have tried uninstalling both my firewall and antivirus software.  The
Windows XP firewall is disabled.  I've tried changing the port numbers for
both the cvs service and the cvs lock service.  I've tried shutting down the
cvs service and running cvsservice.exe -test, but that doesn't give much
meaningful information.  This is all that I get from cvsservice.exe
-test: C:\Program
Files\CVSNT>cvsservice.exe -test
CVSNT 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2260 (Mar  3 2006) starting in test mode.
TEMP/TMP currently set to C:\cvstemp
Initialising socket...
Starting auth server on port 2401/tcp...
Couldn't register with active directory: Configuration information could not
be read from the domain controller, either
because the machine is unavailable, or access has been denied.
CVSNT initialised successfully
003ba3b3: Cvsnt process started
003ba4bc: Cvsnt process terminated
003d1a65: Cvsnt process started
003d1b6e: Cvsnt process terminated
003d2fa2: Cvsnt process started
003d302f: Cvsnt process terminated

Are there any other known programs which cause socket issues with cvsnt like
this?  Is there any better way to debug this or get more info out of the cvs
service as to what is happening?  Is there a way to increase the
logging/tracing level?

Thanks!

--
Kevin Tapperson