[cvsnt] unable to connect to new cvs server

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Wed Dec 13 14:33:38 GMT 2006

I haven't seen this with CVSNT, but I've seen a number of Winsock-based
programs run into problems on XP SP2 if IPv6 support is installed.
(This includes, for example, Microsoft's own utilities that ship with
ADAM.)

XP's IPv6 support sometimes (always?) causes "localhost" to be resolved
to its IPv6 address (0::1, if memory serves), and apparently some
Winsock programs will not resolve that correctly.

Removing IPv6 support corrects the problem.

Also, there's a known issue with some Microsoft products corrupting a
Registry entry that prevents name resolution from working correctly.
Again, "localhost" won't be resolved properly.  Running "netsh ip reset"
usually corrects the problem, but it resets a number of things, so I'd
recommend doing some research before using it.  (There are relevant MS
KB articles, etc, available online.)

I don't know if that's the problem you're seeing, but I'd try using
"127.0.0.1" rather than "localhost" in your CVSROOT in case the latter
isn't resolving properly.

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus