[cvsnt] Force commit

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Dec 13 12:43:16 GMT 2006

Arthur Barrett wrote:

> CVS was designed over 20 years ago for the sort of networks around at
> that time - it is NOT necessary to have more than one CVS server.  Both
> your geographical locations will work fine using ONE cvs server.
>
> If you have a performance problem then search the list for previous
> discussions about how to diagnose the problem.

I didn't get the OP, but I just wanted to respond to this. This is true if
you use only checkout/update and commit or have a fast and low-latency
connection to the server. It is not true the moment you want to use diffs
regularly, with a not-so-good connection to the server.

Try working with a server where the connection is not so good: slow and/or
high latency. I'm sure you quickly realize that you very much would like to
have a mirror closer to you. Putting the single server closer to your
location wouldn't help, though, because then the people in the other
location would be in that position. So... ?

(I'm not saying anybody should do something about this. But just telling
people that they don't need that may not really hit the nail. It clearly
depends...)

Gerhard