[cvsnt] CVSNT with SSH Client from Attachmate (RSIT)?

bobbogardus at bunnydidit.com bobbogardus at bunnydidit.com
Thu Dec 21 00:01:36 GMT 2006

Hi,
I'm having problems getting RSIT's ssh client to work with CVSNT. Any advice would be appreciated...
We have been using CVSNT with Putty (Plink/Pageant) to use SSH to connect to our CVS server running on Unix. Our company wants to switch from Putty to "Reflection for Secure IT" (RSIT) by Attachmate. (We cannot use 'pserver', so we have to invoke the ssh command from the commandline, much like using plink.)
1) When CVSNT invokes RSIT's ssh, it generates this command:
ssh.exe -H unixserver -l bogardus unixserver /opt/CVS/bin/cvs server
RSIT is interpreting the "/opt/CVS/bin/cvs" as the hostname instead of "unixserver".
We are running CVSNT this way:
 SET CVS_EXT="C:\PROGRA~1\Attachmate\RSecure\ssh.exe" "-H unixserver -l %u %h"
 SET CVS_SERVER=/usr/local/bin/cvs
 SET CVSROOT=:ext:bogardus at unixserver:/usr/local/home/bogardus/cvsrepo
 cvs version
CVSNT builds a command line from the CVS_EXT, replacing the %u / %h with user / hostname, then it tacks on the cvs executable path (using CVS_SERVER) and the command ("version" in this case).
Using RSIT's debug option -vvv, we see this:
 ssh Command Line:
 C:\PROGRA~1\Attachmate\RSecure\ssh.exe -vvv -H unixserver -l bogardus unixserver /opt/CVS/bin/cvs server
 <snip>
 ssh Command Line Options:
 Debug level set to DEBUG3.
 debug1: Command line options applied
 debug3: getuid
 debug3: geteuid
 debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted.
 debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
 fatal: ssh: /opt/CVS/bin/cvs: No such host is known.
 Connection Failure.
2) I can manually type this command at the WinXP command prompt and it WORKS:
 C:\PROGRA~1\Attachmate\RSecure\ssh.exe -H unixserver -l bogardus unixserver /opt/CVS/bin/cvs -d /usr/local/home/bogardus/cvsrepo server
3) Tested with:
CVSNT Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.03 (Scorpio) Build 2382 (client/server)
Unix server: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.12 (client/server)
4) Putty/Pageant works great. Here's the setup we use successfully:
 SET CVS_RSH=c:\progra~1\putty\plink.exe
 SET CVS_SERVER=/usr/local/bin/cvs
 SET PLINK_PROTOCOL=ssh
 SET CVSROOT=:ext:bogardus at unixserver:/usr/local/home/bogardrk/cvsrepo
 cvs version
Thanks!
Bob