[cvsnt] Unable to login after cvsroot restore from tape backup

Ryan Parlee parleer at nospam.nospam
Sat Dec 23 06:47:56 GMT 2006

We had two disks go out simultaneously on our RAID-5 CVS server and so we
were forced to recover from tape backup.  The restore successfully recovered
all files including NTFS permissions.  The OS was on a separate partition
and was unaffected by the disk failures, however, the CVS services
themselves (exe files, etc.) were installed on our Data array and so we also
had to reinstall CVSNT.  Since the registry settings were intact, the newly
installed CVSNT remembered it's prior configuration including repositories,
plugins, etc.  However, we now receive the following error when trying to
login:

Logging in to :pserver:ryan at myserver:2401:/cvsroot/test
CVS Password:
Fatal error, aborting.
cvs [login aborted]: cvs: no such user

The "ryan" user is correctly specified in the CVSROOT\passwd file.  This was
working fine before the disk failure.
I've spent several hours trying to figure this out with no luck. Can someone
please help!

Thanks,
Ryan