[cvsnt] Re: Repository TAG behavior

Randy McCharles RandyMcCharles at smarttech.com
Tue Feb 7 17:07:35 GMT 2006

It is possible we experienced time-outs under the same circumstances as you. Our time-outs occurred during our build process: check-out, build, commit, tag. Our Windows & Mac builds occur simultaneously on 2 different clients, operating on common repository modules. Both clients tag the repository. There is some overlap during the check-out, commit, & tag steps, but we only ever saw time-outs on tag. There is no way to verify that the conflicts occurred at the file or directory level. Our tagging is by module, which are quite large. (The majority of our files are split between 3 modules.) I am not sure of the "atomic" consequences of tagging a module. However the time-out actually occurs, the cause was the large binaries as the problem went away when I removed them.

Randy McCharles

SMART Technologies Inc.

Senior Software Developer

Tel. 403.802.3347  Fax 403.229.2531