[cvsnt] Re: "cvs update" avoiding files with local changes?

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Tue Feb 21 22:19:19 GMT 2006

Johan Holmberg wrote:
> I wonder if it is possible to run "cvs update" to fetch new changes
> from the server, but without fetching changes for files that
> are also changed locally?

Sure, others have needed something similar and there's good support for
variations on the update operation.  You can select individual files to
update.  You can use the -n option to prevent any local files from
changing but still see the list of files that would have changed.  Also,
whenever the local file is changed, CVS automatically saves off the
original modified version with a different extension before merging in
the update.  See "cvs -H update", the cvsnt wiki, and the eBook for more
info.

I'm not sure that is a good idea to only partially update your sandbox
though.  For example, if there was a change that spanned multiple files
with some dependency (like change a function parameter list) then you
didn't update your local file it would be a problem.  However, you can
see there's a few other ways that hopefully will meet your needs.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett