[cvsnt] Re: "cvs update" avoiding files with local changes?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Feb 21 23:37:13 GMT 2006

Johan Holmberg wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible to run "cvs update" to fetch new changes
> from the server, but without fetching changes for files that
> are also changed locally?
>
> I would like to "hold" updates for such files for consideration later,
> even if a merge would be successful.

AFAIK there is no built-in command line option to do that.

Depending on your client GUI (if you use one), you may be able to do that
one directory at a time by sorting the files by cvs status and only
updating the unmodified ones.

OTOH this doesn't seem to make much sense. If there are changes in files
you have modified and changes in files you have not modified, chances are
the changes are related and it doesn't help you a lot to get only the
changes in files you haven't modified. This may easily break the build.

If you don't want to update yet, just don't. If you want to see what the
others are up to without updating your working copy, keep a second sandbox
around in which you don't work, but which you update regularly.

Gerhard