[cvsnt] How to get the diffs between branchpoint and tip of branch

Michael Wojcik Michael.Wojcik at microfocus.com
Tue Feb 28 14:08:32 GMT 2006

> From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org
> [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org] On Behalf Of Richard Wirth
> Sent: Tuesday, 28 February, 2006 13:16

> Subject: [cvsnt] How to get the diffs between branchpoint and
> tip of branch
>
> stupid qestion?
>
> any hints?

I don't think there's any built-in mechanism to do this.  You basically
have three options, as far as I can see:

1. Manually determine the revision that the branch was split off from by
looking at the branch tag value, then specify it in the diff.  For
example:

	$ cvs log -h file.c
	mybranch: 1.5.0.2
	$diff -r1.5 -rmybranch file.c

2. Automate that process with a script that looks for the branch label,
gets the version, strips off the appropriate number of digits, and runs
the diff.

3. Tag the parent revision when you create the branch.  That's the
method implicitly endorsed by the CVSNT documentation (see the examples
for the diff command).  For example:

	$ cvs tag -r1.5 branchpoint file.c
	$ cvs tag -b -r1.5 mybranch file.c
	[edit and commit changes on the branch]
	$ cvs diff -rbranchpoint -rmybranch file.c

--
Michael Wojcik
Principal Software Systems Developer, Micro Focus