[cvsnt] How to get the diffs between branchpoint and tip of branch

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Feb 28 14:17:06 GMT 2006

Well,
the question itself is not stupid, but it raises an as yet unsolved
question that I have posted before and which did not result in a
solution:

Imagine that you are working on a project consistsing of a rather
large number of files (and folders).
The project has been running for a while so the file revisions are
spread out all over the numerical range.

Now you have got an assignment to solve a problem and you create a
branch off HEAD (possibly after updating your sandbox to get all
the latest stuff).
The solution should be based on current HEAD and while you are
working on this others continue developing on TRUNK.

You work for a while on this branch and then you find that you did
some stupid decisions somewhere up front and you want to go back
and start over. This is usually what is so good about CVS that
you can do this. But....

You want to create a new branch on the BASE of the existing branch.
What command to use????? I don't know. :-(

Maybe you could update your sandbox back to the BASE of the branch
and then create a new branch tag there? It would be OK so how can
it be done?
cvs update -r BASE_of_branch .....

The only way I know will work is if you tag the base before you
create the branch. Then its is simple....
But what if you forgot to do this? How can you get back to the
starting point of the branch.

There needs to be a new flag for update in my view. Something
like:

cvs update -B -r BranchTag
where -B specifies that the update should be to the base of the
specified branch. If no branch tag specified then -B is ignored
or all files revert back to revision 1.1

Problem:
How to handle files that have been added along the way???

Best regards,

Bo Berglund