[cvsnt] Re: command cvs -n update

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Jan 20 15:49:40 GMT 2006

Alain Gauthier wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I work with CVSNT as client on Windows XP and a CVS server on Linux.
>
> On the client side, I type the command 'cvs -n update foo' on the DOS
> command line interface :
> In case of conflict or a need to merge with 'foo' I get not only the update
> command output but  also 'foo' is modfied
> as if I performed the command without option '-n'.
> So foo is modified indicating the conflict blocks and the .#foo is created.

-n is only supported for 'co -n' on an empty directory (as used to
simulate ls on servers that don't support it and by things like eclipse)
- the latest documentation has been updated to reflect this.

Supporting it for all commands is just too complex - it never really
worked... even on the old cvs it sometimes modified the sandbox, and its
implementation is just a mess (lots of conditions littered all over the
code).  There are plenty of other ways to find out information about the
repository that are nondestructive.