[cvsnt] Re: How to compile cvsnt - again unable to....

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Jan 21 08:48:25 GMT 2006

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 00:56:29 +0000, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> f:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\pcre\pcre_info.c(82): error C2065:
>> 'PCRE_FIRSTLINE' : undeclared identifier
>
>There's something wrong with the sources you have,

My sources are in the cvsnt module that I have on the CVSNT_2_0_x
branch. This module sandbox has been with me for several years and it
is updated regularly and of course I have udated it now to be
up-to-date.
But I will make a fresh checkout to make sure that there are no hidden
errors.

>or VC is not configured to compile correctly.
Compile is exactly what I am trying to make it do...
But since I am really not a VS user I am having some problems setting
stuff up. Basically I have a fresh install of Visual Studio DOTNET
2003 wher I have added the Include and Library paths into the
configuration to point to the dependencies I know of. That's it..

>> f:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\cvsapi\mdns_howl.h(29): fatal error
>> C1083: Cannot open include file: 'howl.h': No such file or directory
>
>You said you could'n't find howl... it's on there somewhere (and in
>cvsdeps) but you might as well disable it as it's pretty useless.

I used the link in the WIKI download page (at the bottom of the page)
http://www.cvsnt.org/howl-1.0.0-bin.zip

Result:
The requested URL /howl-1.0.0-bin.zip was not found on this server.

The other links to dependent files worked and I got them into my
sandbox (put them into a subdir "Externals" and pointed the VC++
directories list to them.

I don't know how to "disable" howl, it seems that VC++ wants to use it
for some reason. How do you "disable" sourcecode in VS 2003???

Concerning cvsdeps, it is not a subdir to cvsnt, but when I use WinCvs
to checkout cvsnt and make it list what is available I find a cvsdeps
module to the *side* of cvsnt, is this also needed?

>> f:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\cvsapi\win32\autoproxy.cpp(175): error
>> C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'Vtbl'
>
>You haven't installed an up to date (<1 year old) platform SDK.  This is
>actually explained on line the line above the error!

Well the SDK I have installed now is the "Platform SDK for Windows
Server 2003SP1 April 2005 Edition" from my MSDN DVD dated December
2005. I have not received any later DVD:s from Microsoft yet...

Concerning the SDK: After installing the SDK, what am I supposed to
do? I figured that I should add it to the directories used by VC++ in
a similar way as the old VC6 system used. So I added the SDK Include
and Lib folders to the directory list in VC++. Is there any particular
order they should be in?
And should I remove the entries that are listed as:

$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include
$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include\prerelease
$(FrameworkSDKDir)include
$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\lib
$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include\lib
$(FrameworkSDKDir)lib

I did not put them there but they seem to be included in the VS 2003
installation and maybe they should not be used????

But then again, the directories set by this configuration seems to be
*global* in VS 2003, how can one set *project specific* directory
search paths???

My experience is for some 10 years with Borland Delphi and in that
environment the paths are set on the project level and are saved in
the project control files so one can switch between projects with
widely varying requirements on included paths. Is this possible also
in VS 2003?

>> f:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\cvsapi\postgres\PostgresRecordset.cpp(31):
>> fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'libpq-fe.h': No such
>> file or directory
>
>No paths to the postgres libs.

Was not listed in the WIKI/Download page. Where can I get those.

>> f:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\protocols\sspi.cpp(170): error C2065:
>> 'server' : undeclared identifier
>
>Again, I think either your sources are somehow corrupt or your build
>settings are completely out of whack.

Build settings are VS 2003 out-of-the-box
Sources are from the cvsnt server updated before trying to build.

But of course I (as well as Oliver) am not using VS 2003 daily so we
are you might say novices in navigating the VS IDE...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)