[cvsnt] Creating a tag on a checked out branch?

Jonathan Belson jon at witchspace.com
Tue Jan 31 10:23:07 GMT 2006

Hiya

I have a checked out branch in my working directory and I want to create a new
tag on it.  Is cvs smart enough to only create the tag on the branch, or do I
have to manually specify the branch name?

E.g. can I use

'cvs tag NEW_TAG_ON_BRANCH'

or do I have to use

'cvs tag NEW_TAG_ON_BRANCH -r MY_CHECKED_OUT_BRANCH'

I tried using the former method, but when I checked a ',v' file in the
repository I couldn't see anything that related the branch tag to the branch.
  The new tag's ID was 1.13, but the branch was 1.13.0.2; I somehow expected
the new tag to have an ID related to the branch number (1.13.0.2.1 or something).

Cheers,

--Jon