[cvsnt] Re: Creating a tag on a checked out branch?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Jan 31 10:33:23 GMT 2006

Jonathan Belson wrote:
> E.g. can I use
>
> 'cvs tag NEW_TAG_ON_BRANCH'
>
> or do I have to use
>
> 'cvs tag NEW_TAG_ON_BRANCH -r MY_CHECKED_OUT_BRANCH'
>
> I tried using the former method, but when I checked a ',v' file in the
> repository I couldn't see anything that related the branch tag to the
> branch.  The new tag's ID was 1.13, but the branch was 1.13.0.2; I
> somehow expected the new tag to have an ID related to the branch number
> (1.13.0.2.1 or something).

The first is fine on a checked out repository.

The second is what you'd need for rtag.

Tags aren't really related - if there are no revisions on the branch
that you're tagging it'll appear in the parent branch (1.13 in your
example), since you're tagging the current revision not any particular
branch name.