[cvsnt] Re: Storing Shared Web Assets in CVS

Andreas Tscharner andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch
Mon Jul 17 06:53:29 BST 2006

Eric Everman wrote:

[snip]
> ======= Typical web project CVS contents ====================
> /project_root
>     /public_html
>         -some project specific files...
>         - [Right here is where the tabbed UI files need to be]
> <------------

[snip]
> directory structure of a versioned project?  Is it possible to somehow
> 'nest' one CVSNT project in another?  Suggestions please...

Suggestion:
Have a look at the 'modules' file.

Yes, it is possible to create a module with your common files and
'mount' that module as part of another module. I suppose for your
example, the modules file should have the following entries:

publicHTML      -d public_html   public_html &common
project_root    -d project_root  project_root &publicHTML

where 'common' is the module containing the common files, public_html
contains the files that are in that directory without the common files,
and project_root contains all files except public_html (and therefore
common is also excluded).
Note that common, public_html and project_root are separate modules.

For further information, have a look at the "modules" file section in
the manual (look for so called ampersand modules).
You may want to try modules2, it is more flexible, but it may not work
in every case.

Best regards
	Andreas
Andreas Tscharner                          andreas.tscharner at metromec.ch