[cvsnt] Was: Single-commit on branch

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jul 25 17:05:30 BST 2006

Marcel Stör wrote:

> Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
>> Marcel Stör wrote:
>>
>>> Following the docs I expected this to work just fine:
>>> I need to disallow the user "theuser" write-access to branch
>>> "mybranch" in project "myproject". C:\CVS is the root path to the
>>> repository.
>>
>> Root path of the /repository/ or of a /sandbox/? cvs chacl is to be
>> used in a sandbox. I'm not sure, but I think there is no single cvs
>> command that can be used in the repository; they are all for use in a
>> sandbox.
>
> Geee, now I'm totally confused. It's a fact that our admin installed CVSNT
> in C:\Programme\CVSNT ...

This is the program. For this discussion, this is not relevant.

> ... and it is also a fact that I see all the projects under C:\CVS.
> Whether this a repository or a sandbox I don't know. I guess I'll have
> to look this up in your manual...

You /need/ to understand the difference between a repository and a sandbox
to be able to discuss anything here reasonably.

In short, most files in the repository have a ",v" appended to the name you
used when adding them to the repository. The repository is what the server
uses, where all the different revisions are stored.

The sandbox is where you are working, to where you checkout files, from
where you check in files. Every repository may be (and usually is) checked
out into various sandboxes.

> There are two directories C:\CVS\CVSROOT and C:\CVS\CVSTEMP. Based on
> David's comment it looks as if our admin had f... up the installation!?

Maybe, maybe not. But it looks as if C:\CVS were your repository. If this
is true, you need to check it out into a sandbox, something like
C:\Projects or C:\Sandbox or whatever you like.

> Do I need to move the C:\CVS dir (excl. root and temp) to a different
> location?

The answer depends a bit on whether C:\CVS is the root of a sandbox or of a
repository. I think if it is a repository, you can leave it where it is. If
it is a sandbox, you just do a fresh checkout into a different location.

> Access permissions as desired can only be set if I do so?

I strongly recommend that you make yourself familiar with the concepts of
repository and sandbox, the checkout/update/checkin sequence, tagging and
branching in general and the basic workings of cvsnt before you think about
ACLs.

Gerhard