[cvsnt] Was: Single-commit on branch

Marcel Stör marcel at frightanic.com
Tue Jul 25 18:53:29 BST 2006

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
[snip]
>> ... and it is also a fact that I see all the projects under C:\CVS.
>> Whether this a repository or a sandbox I don't know. I guess I'll
>> have to look this up in your manual...
>
> You /need/ to understand the difference between a repository and a
> sandbox to be able to discuss anything here reasonably.
>
> In short, most files in the repository have a ",v" appended to the
> name you used when adding them to the repository. The repository is
> what the server uses, where all the different revisions are stored.

Right, so my initial description was correct after all.

> The sandbox is where you are working, to where you checkout files,
> from where you check in files. Every repository may be (and usually
> is) checked out into various sandboxes.

Got that. The confusion stems from the fact that all our "sandboxes" are the
IDE's workspaces on each developers PC. I simply refer to all those
artifacts as "local copies". Thanks for making this clear.

>> There are two directories C:\CVS\CVSROOT and C:\CVS\CVSTEMP. Based on
>> David's comment it looks as if our admin had f... up the
>> installation!?
>
> Maybe, maybe not. But it looks as if C:\CVS were your repository. If
> this is true, you need to check it out into a sandbox, something like
> C:\Projects or C:\Sandbox or whatever you like.
>
>> Do I need to move the C:\CVS dir (excl. root and temp) to a different
>> location?
>
> The answer depends a bit on whether C:\CVS is the root of a sandbox
> or of a repository. I think if it is a repository, you can leave it
> where it is. If it is a sandbox, you just do a fresh checkout into a
> different location.

Now your previous post ("cvs chacl is to be used in a sandbox") is more
comprehendable to me. So, the sequence would be checkout/cvs
commands/checkin?

>> Access permissions as desired can only be set if I do so?
>
> I strongly recommend that you make yourself familiar with the
> concepts of repository and sandbox, the checkout/update/checkin
> sequence, tagging and branching in general and the basic workings of
> cvsnt before you think about ACLs.

Except for ACLs I've using all of this for quite some time. However, since
I've only been using it through my IDE's CVS plugin (Eclipse) I never had an
urgent need to understand in detail what's going on on the other end of my
CVS connection.

Thanks for your clear explanations. I do appreciate that.

--
Marcel Stör
www.frightanic.com -> free Sudoku mailing service