[cvsnt] CVSNT performance question

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Wed Jul 26 14:16:41 BST 2006

> We are using the latest version

Which latest version would that be?  Including build number.

> Our CVS repository has about 120
> projects using collectively
> about 0.5Gb.

That is not large.

> We use the pserver protocol to connect.

Not recommended, use sspi or ssh (or sserver).

> Browsing the repository ( in eclipse ) takes
> several minutes.

Probably an eclipse problem.  Browse with the command line or WorkspaceViewer (included in CVSNT) and find out if there is a performance problem there first.  If the command line is slow (eg: "cvs ls") then do a trace "cvs -ttt ls" and each step is timestamped - look for which steps are slow and e-mail the info through.

Note: things like enabling network compression, anti virus on the server and/or the client and disks and network can all vary performance greatly.

Also see the following FAQs:
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq10.asp#3c
and
http://www.march-hare.com/cvspro/faq/faq2.asp#2z