[cvsnt] Specifying branch tags in CVSROOT/modules

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jun 6 22:46:01 BST 2006

I have a special situation where code for the firmware of a data
collection instrument has been developed in a physical module.
Then some years ago there was a special (and we thought short-lived)
version of the instrument being designed where we created a branch off
the HEAD at that time of the main source tree. Then we developed the
one-off version and got it out the door.

However it turned out that this particular version was more popular
than we thought and now we have two instruments with the same basic
source platform but with significant modifications in the one that was
branched off. Additionally we have done feature additions and bugfixes
to the TRUNK that is not on the branch (ouch!).

Now I have to do something about this and one idea to begin with is to
create a CVSROOT/modules definition of the sources needed for the
special version so people can at least check out and work on that.
But, since the mods are on a branch I would need to specify to CVS
that when checking out this module the files retrieved should be on
the branch...

So is there any way one can create a modules specification that will
grab sources from a particular branch???
Will this work:

NewUnit -r Branch_NewInstrument OldUnit

Or is there any other construct that could be used?

I would hate to separate the sources by copying over to a new physical
module because I want the ability to merge changes from TRUNK into the
branch.

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)