[cvsnt] Re: Create tag on older version

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jun 13 17:00:34 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:

>> I have created four version of a project.For each version i have created
>> a separate tag for them. I created tag for fourth version but forgot to
>> create tag for third version.How can i create tag on third version and
>> how can i able to retrieve the third version.Please help me.
>
> If you know the time you did finish version 3 and if there is some
> time difference between that time and the time of the first commit for
> version #4 then you can do as follows:
> - Check out your project, this gets you the latest revisions
> - cvs update and set the update time to a date in between the two
> versions. THis gets you the files for version 3

Maybe obvious, but when under stress, even the obvious becomes strange at
times: This would be the time to verify (build, run test suite, whatever)
that you actually have all the correct files for version 3.

If a few files are different, you can either try to adjust the time/date
and update again, or you can try to "fix" individual files by looking at
their revision tree and update them to the correct revision.

> - Now tag the files in the sandbox with the version 3 tag
> - Finally update the files and reset the sticky tag

Gerhard