[cvsnt] Forced revision problems

Tim Chippington Derrick tim at chippingtonderrick.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 15:14:42 BST 2006

Hi

This is a common mistake and one that I got caught up in when I first
started with CVS. The key point is to remember that the file revision
numbers are *purely* there for us and CVS to distinguish different
versions of each file. In a typical module/project you may have many
different files, and it would be almost impossible to get all the
revision numbers on all the files to sensibly line up for each new
version of the module. So we all use tags instead. In a typical
process you will probably be editing a number of files together until
you are happy with their state and decide to make that set of
revisions of those files into a particular "release" version. At that
point, when they have all been committed back to your CVS server, you
then "tag" all those files (or better tag the whole module) with some
identifiable name. We use names here like "V_1_2_3". The tag is just
a convenient symbolic label - you could do the same by just recording
the date on which the release was "frozen" and later you could check
out the module again as it was on that date. But a tag is much
easier. It's useful to devise a naming strategy for the tags too, so
you can distinguish between e.g. test builds and releases.

Forcing revisions on a file is, with hindsight, not the sort of thing
that you really want to do. Change the way you think a bit, and don't
get hung up on the individual file version numbers. Most people now
using CVSNT probably hardly ever look at the individual file revision
numbers. We do record the file version numbers used for each release
- its normal good practice to record a build specification that
includes this information; but that just gets filed as part of the
usual audit trail stuff that nobody ever looks at unless things go
wrong. Now we just let CVSNT do its own thing with the individual
file version numbers and we concentrate on getting the file contents
right and then tagging the whole module at key points like releases.

Hence, the option for forcing a revision was deemed to be practically
useless and potentially dangerous; so I believe it was removed quite
a long time ago from CVSNT.

Basically, unless you are doing something *very* specific, don't
bother. It won't work with CVSNT anyway