[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT does not support *large* binary files (crashesonthem)

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jun 19 06:06:50 BST 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:40:18 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>btw. versioning something the size of an ISO image even on a 64bit OS is
>unlikely to be worth the effort as the checkout will take tens of minutes per
>file.  Version its contents instead.

It was I who used an ISO file as an example test object (it was a
handy file for me) but the OP has some Oracle binary files which are
about 30 Mb in size and which stack up when he is adding a number of
commits. I believe he is now talking of a ,v file that holds 30+ such
revisions and where the ,v file has reached about 600 Mb.

FWIW: We keep our exe and dll files in CVS but we avoid committing
daily changes. We only commit these when we have sent something out
the door. We do this because there is no way we can later recreate an
exact copy of the exe file from sources since it contains too much
'stuff' from Windows as well and also updates to the development IDE
changes the exe binaries.
We notice that we get sluggish performance once the ,v file grows big.
This hits things like commit and tag. But we still need to do it
because of traceability and the possibility to get old binaries out.
Our exe:s range up to 5Mb each and the dll:s are below 1 Mb....

HTH

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)