[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT does not support *large* binary files (crashesonthem)

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Mon Jun 19 11:13:40 BST 2006

Bo Berglund wrote:
> It was I who used an ISO file as an example test object (it was a
> handy file for me) but the OP has some Oracle binary files which are
> about 30 Mb in size and which stack up when he is adding a number of
> commits. I believe he is now talking of a ,v file that holds 30+ such
> revisions and where the ,v file has reached about 600 Mb.

That's not an issue really... your limitations on a file like that are
the speed of the disk access and the CPU to process rebuilding the file.

For maximum speed it's faster to work on HEAD (since that holds the
reference revision) which is historically why that's normally the
development branch.. although the reconstruction of revisions is pretty
fast - the CVSNT_2_0_x branch was branched a very long time ago and the
difference in speed isn't really noticable (OTOH I don't have any 30mb
files in there).