[cvsnt] Merging and Binaries

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Jun 27 02:17:30 BST 2006

Tony Hoyle wrote:

>> I think part of the question was why cvsnt doesn't mark them as conflict
>> files. It seems to me to be a conflict situation (that is, "merge required
>> but not possible").
>
> It's not a conflict because the sandbox file has not been modified.  In the
> case where the sandbox file *has* been modified you get the 'non mergable file
> needs merge' message.
>
> Binary files are handled by updating to the new version and keeping a copy of
> the old one.

I agree with the latter, but not quite with the former. While it is not a
merge conflict inside the file (it has been copied, not modified), it is
something like a "logical merge conflict" in the sense that a proper merge
couldn't be performed.

I guess it depends on whether you think of a merge conflict marker as
saying "this file is messed up" (that's how it is) or as saying "I couldn't
merge this file properly, and someone has to have a look at it" (that's how
it also may make sense).

In any case, a conflict mark would be helpful. I'll think about adding a
flag to update (like Arthur suggested).

Gerhard