[cvsnt] Bizarre problem with cvsnt client and Tortoise CVS

Craig Southeren craigs at postincrement.com
Thu Jun 29 05:40:47 BST 2006

To all,

I've been using Tortoise CVS client for years, and I've never had a
problem with it until today.

For no apparent reason, the cvsnt executable simply fails to connect to
any CVS server via the ssh or ext methods. It was working yesterday -
today any CVS operation just fails with "cvs [update aborted]:
Connection to server failed"

I am able to run ssh from the same machine to any of the target CVS
servers without any problems, so I know it is not a firewall problem.

I can run Cygwin cvs with ssh from the command line on the same machine,
so there is nothing wrong the target CVS repositories (I am trying to
connect to SourceForge as a developer).

A local CVS repository works with pserver, but that same repository does
not work with ext or ssh. It certainly used to work, and ext access
works just fine from other machines on the same local net.

I've tried using various ssh tools such as TortoisePlink, cygwin ssh and
putty and all of them give the same error.

I'm running on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all of the latets updates. I;ve
desinstalled and reinstalled TortoiseCVS 1.8.26 several times, and I've
tried CVSNT client 2.5.02.2064 from the command line with the same bad
result.

The only change from yesterday when it was working was installing and
configuring Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I suspect some DLL
somewhere has been upgraded and now the cvsnt.exe is having a problem.

I absolutely need this to work - the next step is reformatting the
machine and hoping the problem goes away. My guess is that some DLL ha

Any ideas how to fix?

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment – VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs at postincrement.com.au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243656905      MSN: craig_southeren at hotmail.com
 Mobile: +61 417231046

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting