[cvsnt] Re: ViewVC and CVSNT on different machines (RCS wrappers +Lockserver)

Oliver Koltermann okoltermann_deletethis_ at gmx.de
Fri Mar 31 14:27:13 BST 2006

Thank you both for your patience. I hope I can clear things up now:

"Bo Berglund" <Bo.Berglund at system3r.se> writes:

> He stated at the beginning that he was running ViewCvs on a Linux
> machine.
> The CVSNT server was on a W2000 server.

Yes, this is the situation right now. As I said I am working towards
having a single machine for all SCM, but ATM the Win2k server is out
of my reach - meaning that I have no administrative rights on this
machine and am unable to decide that a webserver should be installed
there.

> He thought to manage the ViewCvs file access for the RCS parsing by
> mounting the repository as a network drive (ugh!!) on the Linux machine
> thus making it look as a local file tree.
> Then ViewCvs would presumably run fine reading the RCS files across the
> network...
> But it *is* a CVSNT server being viewed...

Again true, and I am doing this since more than two years without
problems. As ViewVC uses read-only access I see no problem with the
network share here, but I know that network drives are evil...

The point "making it look as a local file tree" was the piece I was
missing. That's why I asked about where to enable the lockserver. And
it's also the cause why I thought to be on the "client" side.

Now I understand that if combined into one single machine the rcs
wrappers are just another repository access on the server side using
the defined lockserver and all. Then it's not of help for me right
now, but will be with the new server.

What I thought the rcs wrappers to be was just a plain rcs parser,
which is corrected for the extended use of CVSNT. But now I see the
whole picture.

Sorry for the disturbance, but I'm still learning... :-)

Best regards,
O. Koltermann