[cvsnt] Repository Creation under 2.5.03.2260

RBuchholz at Chamberlain.com RBuchholz at Chamberlain.com
Tue May 2 17:23:11 BST 2006

All-

I noticed a difference when creating a repository and need to know if I've
missed something.

CVSNT 2.5.03.2260
RHEL 3.0

Q: Is it now required that the repository creator be root?

For our installation in the past, a user "cvsadmin" would create any
needed repositories. With my testing of '.2260, I found that I would get
an error condition when the user cvsadmin created a repo:

[cvsadmin at localhost cvs_reps]$ cvsnt -d /usr/local/cvs_reps/blorg init
cvsnt init: Unable to register repository.
cvsnt init: Your login may not have sufficient permissions to modify the
cvsnt init: global server settings.
cvsnt init: Repository /usr/local/cvs_reps/blorg initialised

But it *looked* like the repository was created ok.

Q: What global settings are now wrong with this failure?
Q: Does the init command now update the PServer file for me???)

Of course, I then repeated the test with trace-on to find out what was
wrong. The error showed as:
00:01:43:   -> Couldn't create temporary file /etc/cvsnt/PServer.new
cvsnt init: Unable to register repository.
cvsnt init: Your login may not have sufficient permissions to modify the
cvsnt init: global server settings.
cvsnt init: Repository /usr/local/cvs_reps/blorg2 initialised

Ok, then repeating the repository creation command as root worked fine -
no errors.

So it looks like cvsnt tries to create a temporary file in /etc/cvsnt
called PServer.new. When the cvsnt init command is run as the cvsadmin
(i.e., not root), cvsadmin can't write to the /etc/cvsnt directories as
they are owned by root, as is all of the /etc stuff, and the file is not
updated(?), although the repository is created.

Am I missing a setting that allows the cvsadmin to create repositories, or
is that how it should be now. I am not aware of cvsnt 2.0.58d trying to
write to the /etc/cvsnt folder.

Thanks for any clarification-

ronb