[cvsnt] Re: Converting from CVS to CVSNT

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed May 3 01:08:06 BST 2006

Shawn Matlock wrote:
> Arthur,
>
> I haven't moved to CVSNT yet.
>
> A month ago I moved to CVS 1.12 without checking into compatibility. I had
> to move back to 1.11. Lesson learned - look into everything.
>
> I think I've checked to make sure all clients work with CVSNT.
>
> Now I want to know what I'll have to do if something I haven't thought of
> doesn't work with it. i.e.: Will I have to restore from backup and check in
> changed files again?

Why are you moving?  Or to put it another way, what is lacking in the
current setup that you need/want?

Any change has potential downtime and changes - even something like cvs
1.11 to 1.12 as you discovered (and that is a pretty minor upgrade).

It may be that changing source control system is too much of a business
risk right now (something that the support contracts are there to
mitigate btw.) and I (and march hare) certainly wouldn't want you to
upgrade if it's going to hurt you in the long run.

If you have a specific goal you want to achieve march hare can help with
that (as can many people on this list, but we specialize in it), from
simple telephone support all the way to onsite installation/training if
necessary.  Alternatively the opensource list has many talented people
on it who can help.