[cvsnt] Re: Converting from CVS to CVSNT

Glen Starrett glen.starrett at march-hare.com
Wed May 3 03:32:06 BST 2006

Shawn Matlock wrote:
> Now I want to know what I'll have to do if something I haven't thought of
> doesn't work with it. i.e.: Will I have to restore from backup and check in
> changed files again?

As Arthur said, it depends on what you do with the files in the CVSNT
repository.  Before migrating your main repositories, you should have a
complete backup.  Also, depending on the size of your organization, you
should plan and implement a pilot program to test your live environment
with a sampling of your code and users.

There is additional information that CVSNT adds to the RCS files that
CVS 1.11 might not know how to handle.  Also, if you use any of the
CVSNT-specific features (for example, binary deltas) then CVS 1.11 won't
be able to understand those files.  It would be safest to assume it is a
one-way road and that you would have to restore a backup to revert back
to the CVS 1.11.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett